Diversity and inclusion have become increasingly important topics in the workplace. A diverse and inclusive workplace not only benefits employees, but it also has positive impacts on a company's bottom line. In this blog post, we will explore why diversity and inclusion are important, how they can benefit a company, and what steps companies can take to promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The Importance of Diversity and Inclusion.
Diversity and inclusion are essential for creating a workplace that is welcoming, respectful, and productive. According to a study by McKinsey & Company, companies in the top quartile for racial and ethnic diversity are 35% more likely to have financial returns above their respective national industry medians. Additionally, a survey by Glassdoor found that 67% of job seekers consider diversity an important factor when considering job offers.
Promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace also creates a more positive work environment. According to a study by Deloitte, companies with an inclusive culture were 80% more likely to report higher business performance. Inclusive workplaces also promote employee retention and reduce turnover rates. A study by the Society for Human Resource Management found that companies with diversity and inclusion programs had a 20% lower turnover rate.
Benefits of a Diverse and Inclusive Workplace.
A diverse and inclusive workplace brings a variety of benefits. For example, a study by Harvard Business Review found that diverse teams are more innovative and creative. Additionally, a diverse and inclusive workplace promotes better problem-solving skills. According to a study by Scientific American, diverse groups outperform homogeneous groups in tasks requiring innovation and creativity.Diversity and inclusion also promote better decision-making.
A study by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that diverse teams make better decisions because they are more likely to consider a wider range of perspectives and ideas. Furthermore, a study by McKinsey & Company found that companies in the top quartile for gender diversity are 15% more likely to have financial returns above their respective national industry medians.
Diversity And Inclusion action Template.
This is a step-by-step guide for creating a customized plan to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in your workplace. With this template, you can take meaningful steps towards building a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.Download now
Steps to Promote Diversity and Inclusion.
There are several steps companies can take to promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Companies can conduct diversity and inclusion training for all employees to raise awareness and promote understanding.
- Companies can review their recruitment and hiring practices to ensure that they are attracting and hiring diverse candidates.
- Companies can establish diversity and inclusion committees to identify and address any issues or concerns.
- Companies can offer employee resource groups (ERGs) to support employees from diverse backgrounds. ERGs provide a safe space for employees to connect and share experiences, and they can also provide feedback to management on how to improve diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Companies can review their policies and procedures to ensure that they are inclusive and promote diversity.
In conclusion, diversity and inclusion are important for creating a positive and productive workplace. Companies that prioritize diversity and inclusion benefit from increased innovation, better decision-making, and improved financial performance. To promote diversity and inclusion, companies can take steps such as providing training, reviewing recruitment and hiring practices, establishing diversity and inclusion committees, offering employee resource groups, and reviewing policies and procedures. By promoting diversity and inclusion, companies can create a workplace that is welcoming, respectful, and successful.
- McKinsey & Company. (2020). Diversity wins: How inclusion matters.
- Deloitte. (2018). The diversity and inclusion revolution: Eight powerful truths.
- Glassdoor. (2014). Demystifying diversity: What the research tells us about building inclusive workplaces.
- Harvard Business Review Analytic Services. (2019). Diversity and inclusion: A strategy for business results.
- Society for Human Resource Management. (2021). HR topics: Diversity, equity & inclusion